Winter is here and heading outside for a hot tub is becoming less and less appealing (ya, I’m a wuss). This means long soaking baths inside.
With my sensitive skin, I have never been one for trusting commercial bath bombs. I do, however, like the idea of the pampering decadence of them. Now that I am onto high quality essential oils, I decided to have a go at making my own bombs.
Actually, not so much bombs as fizzies. My daughter and I were sharing the fruits of our labour, so we made little ones in order to have more. We ended up with 10 each which was plenty to see if we liked them … which we do! I will definitely be making more and experimenting with different essential oils.
Here’s the pictorial version of the easy-peasy process. I will post the ‘recipe’ below.
DIY Bath Fizzies
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1/2 Epsom salt or sea salt <– we used Epsom salt
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- colouring pigment (optional) <– we didn’t use any
- 2 1/2 tablespoons almond oil or melted coconut oil <– we used almond oil
- 3/4 tablespoon water
- 12 – 15 drops essential oil <– we used peppermint and lavender
- something for molds <– we used a mini muffins tin
- in a medium bowl, thoroughly mix together all the dry ingredients with a whisk. You can add your colouring pigment at this time if you are using it.
- in a separate bowl mix together your wet ingredients. We did a sniff test and played with the essential oil combo by adding more peppermint. Now’s the time to make this kind of adjustment.
- very very slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. This is important; otherwise you will activate the citric acid and lose the fizzing ability. Mix until well combined and the mixture looks like wet sand. We ended up adding a wee bit more water.
- press the mixture very firmly into your molds.
- leave for 10 minutes or so, then pop the fizzies out. We placed them on cookie racks to dry.
- let the fizzies dry for 24 hours before using. Which I didn’t do, of course. I had my first luxurious bath that evening.
What are your favourite bath oil scents? I am definitely going to make more fizzies and am looking for ideas.
Stay curious, my lovelies!
Our Life. Our Passions. Our Way.
Interested in incorporating essential oils into your own Life Design? I am pleased to help you as a Wellness Advocate for dōTERRA®. You can contact me directly: CONTACT ELIZA, or click on the below image to explore my Wellness Advocate website.